In 2017 I decided to open my website with my monthly 'Journal' page instead of the traditional 'bio' Here I endeavour to explain some useful knowledge pertaining to the creation of a visual piece using photography and examples.
Every now and again the photos within this website will be changed (so do please check them occasionally!) but as this isn't done every month the Journal page was created so that each month there is something new to read and see!
During October I continued with the pen & ink drawings for my "Life is a Piece of Cheese" book. Hopefully I will have one drawing finished enough to post here next month.
I took a shirt whose cuffs and collars were beyond their best and cut them off. The collar edge was then neatened and a strip of lace attached. I cut out new sleeves and embellished those, finishing the cuffs off with more lace.
Now to the Elizabethan ruff. It took over TEN FEET of fabric!! I covered a piece of pellam with white cotton fabric and machine embroidered the edge. I then had to run gathering threads through the strip of stiffened fabric to create the 'ruffles'. Each 'ruffle' had to be stitched at the top and bottom to a piece of fabric that made the neck surround. Once all the gathers were secured inside I then had to stitch the outer edge of the ruffles to create the classic look.
Once that was done it was on to the hat. It is made with a velveteen fabric as the hat needed the texture and weight for the finished look. A few Ostrich feathers completed the outfit.
I love looking at books of fashion and seeing how it has changed over the 100's of years that records have been kept. When you look at old oil portraits and see what people used to wear - especially men - clothing has changed enormously. There is no comparison between this Elizabethan style and today's jeans and t-shirt! The advent of the clothes washing machine has certainly had a large influence of what we wear these days.
September was a very busy month as I prepared for the Apples and Art Show in Kimberly, Ontario. I set myself the task of making a life-size male Wild Boar for the show and to add to my menagerie. Each time I've made a Boar he has ended up somewhere else so this one is for our garden and will be used to demonstrate my work!
I've put together a slide show to show Mr Buckingham in the making, but first 3 pictures - how he started, at the show, and in the garden. I work with fine mesh fencing wire cutting the pieces to cover a basic frame. Each piece is shaped and worked into place to create the illusion of muscles and bulk. It is hard work and very time consuming!
My next project is slightly different....Here our dog is wearing an 'anti-burr' coat in cotton so she can romp through the undergrowth of our woodland and come out relatively 'burr-free' as the burrs stick to the coat and not matt into her fur. I now need to make a water-proof version for those rainy day walks, and the snow, of course!